The Practical Futurist Podcast Episode 6
In Episode 6 we speak with the CEO of Integral Communications Group Ethan McCarty and answer the question “What’s the Future of … Employee Communication?”.
A former journalist, Ethan joined IBM in early 2000 to manage the web presence for IBM’s $6 billion a year research division, he also co-authored their groundbreaking blogging guidelines, launched IBM’s intranet podcasting platform and worked on IBM’s award-winning annual report to shareholders.
He is now the CEO of Integral Communications Group, a consulting firm specializing in employee activation, as well as a masters-level lecturer on digital media and employee communications for Columbia University.
We spoke to Ethan from New York where he lives and works.
We discussed a range of topics relevant to companies of any size including:
- Why Ethan started an employee activation company
- Internal vs External communications
- Harnessing your external network
- Employee Advocacy beyond: “Please retweet this”
- How do you measure employee engagement?
- Helping attract new talent to the firm
- Using communication as a recruitment tool
- How do you “activate” employees?
- Stop “interruption messaging”
- Culture and purpose
- Personal brand vs company brand
- Renting your brand to an organisation
- Eminence vs advocacy
- Showing up with your network
- Design your value proposition to be network permeable
- Getting your digital tools ready
- What 3 things can you do next week to start an employee engagement program?
- 1. Start talking with employees
- 2. Reinspect the measures of our work
- 3. Inspect your practice of iteration
- The Agile Manifesto
You can read all the show notes on the Episode page.